For all the backpacking I’ve done, I hadn’t done any of the most famous trail in the country. It is too hot and humid to hike in Florida in September, so I took Amtrak to Harpers Ferry West Virginia and backpacked on the Appalachian Trail (AT). I ended up hiking 54 miles on the AT with a total of 11,218 feet ascent. This included AT miles in Virginia, West Virginia, and Maryland plus several miles on the C&O Canal Towpath and around Harpers Ferry.
It was completely different from both Florida Trail and the AlleghenyTrail. Florida Trail is flat and with a few people but over 5 days I might see 10 people. Allegheny Trail had similar hills as the AT but I saw no one while on that trail. During my 5 days on the AT, I saw around 10 thru-hikers, 5 section hikers, and almost 200 day hikers. The Allegheny Trail disappears at times since so few people hike it but the AT is well-traveled and much easier to follow.
However, the Virginia AT section I was on was much more rocky than the Allegheny. That was my most difficult part of the hike. The rocks sometimes required large steps between or were small loose rocks. Between the rocks, wet leaves, and acorns, it was slow going for me so I wouldn’t slip.
The ‘interesting’ part of the Virginia section was the 14 mile long “Roller Coaster”. It is a section with nothing but hills going up and down. It even includes a warning!
In my opinion, Maryland had better trails. It helped that everything was dry and it was perfect weather for hiking. The trail went through both Gathland and Washington Monument State Park.
All along the trail in all 3 states were stops with great views.
The AT is also different since it has shelters. These shelters could have water, showers, bear poles, bear boxes, electricity along with the shelter if you want to sleep there. This was quite fancy to me. Surprisingly, I never saw another hiker where I camped, which was fine by me! I had never seen a bear pole before but they are quicker than hanging the bag from a tree.
There is a tradition that thru-hikers either uber or sometimes beg rides to get into town. I did both! There was a birding class at Washington Monument State Park. I asked if anyone was going into Harpers Ferry. Turns out this nice lady lived only a couple of blocks from the hotel. We had a great conversation into town!
I considered backpacking on the C&O Canal Towpath. But it was full of bikers who weren’t all so polite to a hiker. The trail was more like road walking with little shade. There are campsites, but they are right along the trail with no privacy at all. A nice trail for a bike trip, but not great for hiking.
I also spent a day sightseeing in Harpers Ferry. There’s a lot of history here. Plus by that point, I enjoyed food from restaurants instead of from my backpack.
I saw quite a few deer along the trails. I also saw this deer in a cemetery in Harpers Ferry while I was geocaching. Cool!















No comments:
Post a Comment