Sunday, November 4, 2012

LA Driving

This is me whining again.  I flew into Los Angeles for a business trip without my personnel chauffeur.   Without John, I actually had to handle driving in LA traffic.  I grew up in the country.  We thought the traffic was busy when 2 cars passed our house in the same hour. I’m not a good driver so driving in busy traffic, trying to maneuver through the five lanes of traffic, and desperately trying not to die is tough.  Let’s just say there was some cussing going on inside my car (but not yelled out the window).  Luckily the drivers in LA were actually pretty polite and helpful when I made a stupid mistake. 


To top it off, I decided to be environmental and picked up a rental Prius Hybrid.  I’ve never driven one before but it sounded ‘cool’. First, it took me 5 minutes (or more) to figure how to turn it on and get it moving forward.  At one point in LA traffic I actually had to go in reverse.  That took some time to figure out.  Oh, and it beeps when you back up.  Plus, I’m still not sure why it loudly beeped at me in the middle of an intersection, scaring me while I’m trying to navigate all the traffic.

The car may be wonderful (I still haven’t figured out all the displays), but the rear view is terrible.  There’s a bar through the back window and the open area of the window is VERY small.  Here’s what I see in my rear view window.

Speaking of blind spots, yikes!

No comments: