Friday, February 21, 2014

Living in a Hostel

While I’d love to stay in the $200 per night room in San Diego, I also love saving money.  A few years ago I stayed at a hostel in town.  I had so much fun that I did it again this year.

If you’ve never stayed in a hostel, you should try it sometime.  Yes, I was the oldest resident there but they accepted me.  I slept in a room with 4 beds (female, not a co-ed room).  Frankly, after growing up in a family with 8 kids, sleeping in a bunk room was not an issue.  When I had a chance to see my roommates, they were very friendly.  Two were in their early 20’s from Korea (though traveling separately and were in the room at different days). 

One rule of hostels is to keep lights off and be as quiet as possible in the bedroom while getting ready for bed or getting up in the morning.  That meant I needed to prepare my weeks’ worth of clothes when I got there since I left early and got in late several days.  Another rule for hostels is to bring ear plugs.  Between the noises of roommates getting up, snoring at times, and the bar noises right outside the window; wearing ear plugs all night made sense.

This hostel is full of art along the halls and room.  It has free internet along with a room of computers that you can use.  Breakfast is free everyday along with several suppers.  One night there was even free beer.  Given how much time I was at the conference, I didn’t get to do much of this but it’s nice that they do it.

 
In case you are wondering, there were two showers and two bathrooms on the floor.  The rooms were for only one person at a time, so they were co-ed but not really.  This hostel had a “hair dryer” room.  It had a wall of sinks to brush your teeth and get ready.  Again, it was co-ed.  Another rule is to clean up after yourself.  You even have to wash and dry your bowl and spoon after eating cereal.

Staying in a hostel isn’t for the meek, but I enjoy talking to young adults from around the world. I did a little traveling when I was young, but I’m always amazed at their boldness in traveling alone to new places.  Very cool!

No comments: