Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Texas State Parks

First, if you are going to stay more than a few days at a state park, get a Texas Park Pass. They are fairly expensive ($70), but give you free entrance fees. These can be $3-7 per person per day so they add up quickly. Also, the parks aren't good at recycling. As an aluminum person, I hate that we've had to throw away aluminum cans because they don't have any method of recycling in the parks we've visited. Finally, showers are not great. Some are group areas to change with small showers. Let's just say we've seen better in state parks in other states.

Funny shower story…I was taking a shower where the water pressure was low so the water was only 8-9” maximum from the wall. As I’m showering, I hear something driving up and several people entering the bathroom to use the toilets. As each toilet is flushed, the water temperature stayed OK but the water pressure dropped so the water stream was only 3” from the wall. Then the toilets kept flushing. It was a bus of kids using the bathroom! I had to almost hug the wall to shower that morning.

Many of the state parks have programs on the weekends. We don’t attend too often, but they can be fun and there is also something to learn. This time we attended several of them including: archery, atlatl, geocaching, a bird walk, and a plant walk. All were interesting. The day after the geocaching one, I tried to find two geocaches at the park. I found them, but it took some time. One in particular took me almost 15 minutes with the smartphone app sending me both sides of the path. A few days later, I let John take the lead to find the same two geocaches. He found them within a minute or two. Argh!

We took a hike where you first have to cross the river. It was slippery, but we both made it without falling.

The water level is down, but there are signs of the recent flooding everywhere. This is a pile of debris quite a distance from the river.

Some of the trails aren’t open yet. This section has downed trees, the asphalt trail was washed away, and a damaged trash can.


Just because I like the picture.


No comments: