Saturday, July 1, 2017

Paw-Paw


Earlier in April, I took a picture of a paw-paw bloom. I remember my dad talking about paw-paws on the farm in Ohio. The only plant I knew about was along the fence line at the back of the field. As far as I remember, I never was able to taste one.

We’re back in the same area and the paw-paw fruit are out. Most are still unripe. These fruit are hard.

I found a few that were ripe. The fruit is soft like touching a ripe peach. Inside is pulp with large seeds. It is very tasty. They say that the reason paw-paws aren’t a popular fruit is that they only are good for a few days and don’t ship well. The fruit easily squishes, so that makes sense. It can be used like a banana in things like smoothies or bread. But the best way to enjoy it is fresh and right off the plant!

No comments: