Thursday, October 27, 2011

Addictions

I must admit that I have been a Coke addict, Diet Coke specifically.  I loved Diet Coke!  Drinking six Diet Cokes a day was not unusual.  However, after reading so much about the side effects and now having the space constraints of a very small RV, I have finally kicked my habit.  I proudly announce that I have fought through the headaches and have gone several days without a Diet Coke.

A second addiction we are currently fighting is the TV habit.  We have several shows we used to think we couldn’t live without (Bones, NCIS, etc.).  Well, it turns out the whole RV satellite system is bad and our older receiver has some problems too.  And, by the way, it would be best if we upgraded our TV with a new HD flat screen.  So, we’ve decided we’re going to rely on cable (when a campground has it), DVD’s when it doesn’t, internet TV shows, and maybe just reading or taking walks in the evenings.  TV technology is changing fast along with the best method to get TV shows and movies.  I figure by the time we move back into a house we can buy the latest thing then.

One new/old hobby I’ve taken up is baking.  I baked bread a LONG time ago, but recently made some whole wheat bread.  Yes, I’m proud!

I’m not sure if I’ve used this term before, but I’m looking forward to seeing the ball-of-twine type of places.  Those are the little absurd places that no one in their right mind would want to see except in National Lampoon movies.  Apparently Minnesota proudly displays the largest ball of twine that one person has every made while Kansas has the largest ball of twine made by a town.  Yesterday we went to see the Boll Weevil Monument in Enterprise Alabama.  It is believed this is the only monument to honor an insect.  The story is that the boll weevil started killing cotton crops in 1918.  Because of this, farmers learned to diversify their crops and towns learned to add industries and not rely on farming only.  Not relying on one thing is a good lesson but a boll weevil monument is weird (and cool)!

We also went to the United States Army Aviation Museum at Fort Rucker.  It’s a pretty neat museum with examples of military helicopters and planes.  Interesting and good explanations.

2 comments:

Sue said...

I thought Cindy was writing this but then it said something about "baking bread" and it looks very yummy. John has on shorts and we're expecting snow, a couple of inches - YUCK!
Have fun!

J Wagner said...

Those "ball-of-twine type of places" are better known as "roadside attractions". The best known website that documents those places is this one:

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/

It's a little old but fairly comprehensive. They have local Ohio stuff like "fingers in a jar"

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2811

And Ghost Town, the little historical park south of Findlay is listed (but it is long closed).

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/9258