Sunday, March 3, 2013

Morning Adventure


 

You know me and my morning walks.  Well, today we’re in Baton Rouge.  The campground is very near the Mississippi River.  So I decided to walk to the river.  Now most people would walk along the nice and neat paved walkway along the top of the levee.  But I wanted to go right to the Mississippi. That involved navigating puddles in the grass, weaving through marsh areas, breaking through branches of brambles, stepping through hills of kudzu, and then crossing a flat of mud.  I actually did well until the mud.  It was sandy mud, so I slide into it and coated my shoes and jeans with mud.  Ah, adventures! 
 
 
At 6:30 in the morning, the Mississippi is quiet.  Barges and ships had pulled over to the shore all along the river.  I wonder how that works.  They pull over and sleep for the night?  Do they have TV or something?  Internet?  Or do they just read a book?   Maybe they have a small boat so they can motor into town.  I can tell you that they wouldn’t come ashore by walking.  I saw several animal prints, but most humans are too smart to walk in this area.
 

By 7:00 am, the ships start moving along the river.  At times it sounds like a highway with big trucks passing.


The funny thing was that I found two golf balls in the weeds.  I wonder if the guys on the ships get bored and just hit a few balls off the bow?

No comments: