Saturday, June 8, 2013

Camp Shelby


 
We’re back on the road for a week (or so) trip.  Our first stop was the Mississippi Armed Forces Museum.  We’ve been to several museums at military bases.  This one is much bigger than I expected.  It not only discussed Mississippi’s role and Camp Shelby’s history, but the whole history of U.S. wars.  I kept seeing names of people, places, and events that I knew I should remember but have forgotten about since school.  It’s the type of museum you can visit over and over and still learn more.

The museum uses a lot of sounds to make you think you’re in the action.  You move from the trenches of WW I to battle at Flanders Field, copters in Vietnam, or just listening to WW II music.  The museum has quite a few mannequins posed with the uniform of different eras.  At one point I turned the corner to see a posed figure and then he moved.  Oops…one of the National Guard from Camp Shelby visiting the museum!


Outside there was a field of tanks and helicopters.  Even helicopters that pick up tanks!


 

No comments: