Friday, December 19, 2014

Sights and Sounds of Florida

We’re at Tomaka State Park. There’s a long legend about Chief Tomakie, but it’s probably better to just google it to hear the story. But here’s a statue in honor of the legend.



Back in the 1700’s, this area was a big plantation owned by Richard Oswald. At the time he produced indigo, rice, molasses, rum, sugar, and oranges. He was also involved in the British side of negations after the American Revolution. To me, the park seems like living on Gilligan’s Island. I keep waiting for Gilligan, the professor, or Mary Ann to step out given all the palm trees, palmettos, oranges, etc.



The sights and sounds have been interesting. I don’t know how this woodpecker doesn’t have a headache and stiff neck muscles from the violence of his motions. I didn’t want to stand under him given all the bark that he was knocking down.

Squirrels can be quiet at times, but this one wasn't. Plus, I love how his tail twitches!


No comments: