Sunday, May 31, 2015

A True Ghost Story

Today I saw a ghost.

This morning I decided to bike to most of the batteries (big guns that can shoot miles used to protect this harbor). It’s hot and muggy, so I go very early around sunrise. 

One of the batteries has a sign talking about Pvt. Paap who died in a tragic accident in 1920 at the batteries. Others died on the island during Civil War battles. There’s a small cemetery here with members of the Chase family. Major William Chase supervised the construction of Fort Pickens and later commanded Fort Barrancas as a Confederate and fought against the Union soldiers in Fort Pickens.


Most of the batteries are hidden under a hill of sand and brush. I found this on one of the doors. 

I was walking through the brush and sand around a hill when suddenly something white with dark eyes moved right where I was about to put my foot. I screamed! I normally jump when something scares me, but screaming out loud meant I was really startled. 


After a second, I realized it was a ghost crab that ran into the bushes. No picture of this one, but here’s a previous picture I took. See…I really saw a ghost!



No comments: