Friday, May 8, 2015

Berwick Speedway

A long time ago (1930’s to the late 1970’s), the town of Berwick Pennsylvania had a racing speedway. The story is that the inventor of a machine that takes our dents out of beer kegs built the speedway (George Perluke). I’m not into racing, but the place is within walking distance from where we’re staying. In google, you can see the racetrack clearly with a pond in the center.

The racetrack was ½ mile long. Somebody is still keeping the general track mowed and cutting down encroaching trees. Maybe they still race informally every once in a while? 
  
The place is supposed to have the remains of an amusement park, but I couldn’t find any rides left. Maybe if I looked further. What I did see within the woods were a bunch of equipment and vehicles that were used back then.
The bleachers were designed to hold up to 5,000 people and still remain (seen through a fence). The story is that very few people actually attended the races. The prizes weren’t much and the field was too dusty.

There are a lot of “No trespassing signs” here. I’ve heard they can be aggressive in keeping people out. And I also heard it was no problem. I hoped for the second version and didn’t have any problems while I was there. Fun hour walking around!

No comments: