Sunday, August 30, 2015

Care for Small Cemeteries



I’ve been to a lot of cemeteries, but most of them were connected to a church or it was large enough where there appeared to be someone who kept the grass mowed. A few needed some work. Saturday morning I walked to a small local cemetery that needed a LOT of work. The weeds were five feet tall. I could only see a few stones from the edges, but that was all.


As I was walking around the edges in amazement, a car drove up. Turned out that several cousins get together a couple of times a year to take care of this cemetery and this was the day. Their great-grandmother and other relatives are buried here. The next morning I had to check it out. Well, it was better but it was like the hay field was mowed but nothing raked up. I could see more stones, but there was no trimming done.

Someone in the past had done some repairs and cemented broken stones back together. There were some stones that were basically field stones and unmarked. I’ve seen this type before. Plus, there were several cement markers used to mark graves without any stones.

I guess I never thought how much work was involved in a cemetery.

No comments: