Saturday, January 9, 2016

Do’s and Don’ts of RV Living


Here’s my very personalized list of do’s and don’ts based on things I’ve seen.

Don’t bring a dog with you that barks at anyone who passes by the campsite or when they are left alone or for no reason at all. If you have a dog, make sure they are trained. You may love your barking dog, but your neighbors don’t. Also, keep the leash short when you are passing someone while walking your dog. As many times as you tell me your dog is safe, I really don’t want him jumping on me. (Recently we had a dog in the next site that howled every time the owner left the RV until he came back. Not fun!)

Do take walks and enjoy your location.

Don’t keep lights on outside your RV all night. I’ve heard that lights around your motor keeps mice from climbing up and eating wires so that makes sense (though we’ve never had a problem). Otherwise, you’re shining lights into your neighbors’ windows and preventing us from seeing the stars.

Do go outside at night and watch the stars, planets, meteors, and satellites. There are some great apps out there to know where to look.

Don’t spend all your time in the RV.

Do go to the activities at the park. There are lots to learn and lots of people to meet.

Don’t monopolize your fellow campers’ time. Make sure you aren’t the only one talking. And stop talking when they are trying to walk away.

Do be friendly and spend time comparing stories.

Don’t drive your RV away from your campsite without going through a checklist. My checklist is unwritten, but I go through a list of 10 things I need to do inside the RV before we leave so things won’t shift as we drive. John has his things-to-do outside.


Do laugh at yourself when you make a mistake. It happens! (We recently lost the outdoor temperature sensor when I forgot to bring it in.)

No comments: