Sunday, January 31, 2016

Lake Corpus Christi State Park

Mostly people come to Lake Corpus Christi State Park for the lake and fishing. Not our thing. The birds are fascinating though. The first morning I step out thinking that a breeze was blowing through leaves when I looked up to see a flock of birds (swallows ?) fly past. Several of these flocks flew past over the next few minutes. Actually, they looked like large waves of birds. I’ve seen a lot of cardinals in my time. But instead of a pair, here they seem to come in groups of four to ten. Lots of these groups but difficult to get a good picture.

The coolest thing we’ve seen is a couple of gray foxes. I saw one on a morning walk while John saw one while on a bike ride. Actually, I knew about the normal red fox, but not the gray fox so I had no idea what I was seeing.

The park has been taken over by a certain type of grass. The grass is everywhere and choking out the native plants. I don’t know what they are planning to do to stop it, but they might be too late already.



This grass is just tall!















The ‘castle’ was built by the CCC in the 1930’s.

Quick story…I was on a walk and saw a deer looking into the bushes and not towards me. It turned and saw me. It was so startled it jumped and tried to turn quickly and fell to the ground on its side. Dust flew in the air as it spent several seconds on the ground trying to scramble up and run away. Finally it ran away into the bushes where it snorted for a while. Another deer was watching the whole thing. I just tried not to laugh, to be polite.

No comments: