Monday, February 20, 2017

Hunter Trail


Picacho Peak has an amazing hike. It starts fairly easy though when you reach the Saddle you are tired.



Then you find out the real work starts. The second half of the trail uses cables for sections that are just too difficult to hike. We needed the gloves we brought with all the cables. We were frequently climbing, not hiking, on this trail.

I missed the cables when they weren’t there since the trail can be very narrow along a steep edge. Since I am scared of heights, I may have missed the views by staring at my feet instead of looking up and out. All in all, this trail got my heart beating!

Another exciting part of this trail is the lizards. As you are grabbing for a hand hold, suddenly a lizard appears on the rocks. Not dangerous…just startling.  Oh, and we had a couple of hawks that swooped fairly close as we neared their home. Again, it wasn’t dangerous but it was surprising.

The end is worth it. The views are amazing. Hills that we thought were big were small from the top. Of course, then we had to redo the trail to return. On the way back I slipped in a pile of stones and hit my knee and hand. No major damage but it took me longer on the way back and a few days of rest to heal. Quite a hike!

No comments: