Sunday, February 5, 2017

Kartchner Caverns State Park

The big thing to do at this park is visit the caverns. The claim-to-fame for Katchner is that the cave is still “alive”. Water drips and formations are still growing. The state goes all out to keep it this way. The tours are very controlled and you go through 6 doors to enter the cave to keep the atmosphere as it was. You can’t touch anything except a handrail which they wipe down every day. No pictures are allowed. I guess I’m happy to have visited once, but it’s expensive and without pictures you forget what you saw. Carlsbad is still my favorite especially since you can wander without a guide in a large section of the cave.

The thing I REALLY liked at this park was the hikes. At some points I saw spring flowers and other points there was snow. Spring! One of the hikes is along a stream at one point then takes you over a hill. I thought the views were spectacular. Loved it!

All I saw were birds and an occasional rabbit (almost stepped on one!). Then this morning I turned a curve and suddenly heard a stampede coming out of the bushes ahead of me. It sounded like javelinas were everywhere! Most ran off to the left but at least one went right. At this point I was worried. If a baby was stranded from its parents, I could have Mom and Dad attack me as I walked on the path between them. So, I decided to run through that area. At which point I heard more javelinas crashing through the bushes. Did you know that javelina put out a musk that is similar to a skunk? I didn’t get sprayed but it sure smelled! 





No comments: