Monday, April 3, 2017

I was stalked by a bobcat!

I love the variety of animals at Choke Canyon. Last time we had a bobcat walk through our campsite. I was in the RV and not worried. This time I was worried.

I was walking by myself on my morning walk. I backed tracked a bit on the trail to grab a stick to break through cobwebs on the trail when I saw a fairly large animal jumping back off the trail. I didn’t see what it was so wasn’t worried. However, after I went a few feet down the trail I turned around and saw a bobcat on the trail following me. I kept moving away, and it followed me! At one point I stopped and waved my arms (with a stick in each hand by this point!). The bobcat just sat down and watched me. As soon as I turned to walk away, it followed me. This went on for about a minute. I turned a corner and soon heard a noise in the bush where it sounded like the bobcat was trying to cut me off. Now I’m moving pretty quickly, not running but a very fast walk. I continued the walk checking behind me on the trail along with peering into the bush on both sides of trail. I didn’t see it again, though I kept looking. 

All I have is a blurry picture taken at the beginning when I thought it was kind of cute seeing a bobcat. After that I didn’t slow down enough to take a picture. This walk was a very good cardiovascular exercise given my heart rate!!

BTW, another camper saw three bobcats (a mother and two kids) not too far away. Maybe the bobcat was protecting her young? Later I was told I should have yelled more. They also tell you to back away and don’t run. The problem with that is you can only walk backwards so far. And, like I said earlier, I didn’t run but I walked very fast!

No comments: