Thursday, June 8, 2017

Torreya State Park - Hiking

Hiking is this park is unusual for Florida. Instead of flat land, the trails are up and down. I had to laugh at the comment about roots. Several signs warn you about difficult trails with roots. I’ve hiked lots of trails with roots and they weren’t a problem. After I saw this section of the trail, I understood what they meant.

Plus this was along a creek.

Saw a raccoon in a tree one morning. When I think about it, I’ve never seen a raccoon in the woods, just in campgrounds around the garbage or stealing food from campsites. This one quickly climbed up a tree (no picture). I could get a picture of one of the turtles I saw while on my hike. Not that I’m slow in bringing out my camera or anything.

This hiking sign must have been here for a while. Poor headless guy.


It is raining a LOT this week. Got caught out in the rain on one hike. Luckily, I was on the main road on the way back. I waited under some trees and called John to drive me back. The rain meant that mushrooms were everywhere. Here’s a few.



Another trail in the park has is called the Torreya Challenge. I’ve seen this trail mentioned online before. The challenging thing for me was to find and stay on the trail. The signs were confusing so that I spent most of my time lost on side trails or going the wrong direction. Yes, it’s a challenge!

We’ve been having problems with cardinals attracted by the mirrors on our car and pooping on the door. Unfortunately, I put the plastic bags on the mirror after this happened.

Supposedly there are only 200 Torreya trees (a type of pine tree) in the world. Most are in this park.  John says they look like Charlie Brown’s Christmas tree.


No comments: