Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Advance Redoubt

Redoubt is a word that I don’t think I heard of before traveling.  It is a separate fort outside the main fort meant to protect soldiers.  The word “redoubt” means a place of retreat.  Since the first time I heard it, I’ve seen several redoubts from different time periods.  They existed for battles back to medieval times.  Apparently I was not up-to-date on ‘modern’ warfare.


The redoubt in Pensacola was designed to fight a land assault against the nearby naval base.  Part of the structure includes a dry moat along with a drawbridge.  It’s been lifted so we couldn’t go into the center fort though I hear there are limited times visitors are allowed across.


The walls of the fort have slit windows to shoot attackers.  The vents at the top allow smoke to vent outside.  Love the shape!


No comments: