Wednesday, July 18, 2012

In memory of my dad

The most meaningful memorial at the veteran’s park for me was the one for World War II.


Dad was in the marines during World War II.  He signed up the day after Pearl Harbor.  He was in Guadalcanal during that battle.  From Wikipedia “The battle would cost the division 650 killed in action, 1,278 wounded in action with a further 8,580 contracting malaria and 31 missing in action.”  Dad was not hurt but was one of those who got malaria.  He and his division went to Australia to recover after the battle.  Flirting with the nurses too, I suspect. 

Dad was proud of being a Marine. Every summer of my childhood we attended the 1st Marine Division reunion no matter where they were in the country.  I complained about how "boring" it was, but I got to see parts of the country many kids didn't.  Now I'm traveling and seeing some of the same places.  And they seem pretty cool. 

Semper fi, Dad.
 


No comments: