Monday, August 13, 2012

Gonzaga University

I flew on Sunday so that I could have extra time at the plant during the week. But that gave me a few extra hours to see what Spokane has to offer.  Unfortunately, many of the touristy things were closed on Sunday and I didn’t have the energy after 10 hours of flying to do the hikes that were possible.

Bing Crosby studied law at Gonzaga University in Spokane. Bing wasn’t from my era, but my mom was a fan so I grew up listening to him. The university has a room displaying his Oscar (for “Going My Way”), gold records, and other memorabilia.  The room was closed, but I could peak in through the windows. According to imdb.com “He had 38 No. 1 singles, which surpassed even Elvis Presley and The Beatles.”  His most famous song “White Christmas” was the bestselling single for over 50 years.  Besides singing and acting in his road movie comedies, he is famous for his love of golf and died of a heart attack after a game.  So it is appropriate his statue includes a bag of clubs.


The university also is home to St. Aloysius Church.  The Italian marble is especially gorgeous.  It’s quite a spectacular church for a college setting.

No comments: