Monday, October 13, 2014

Coopers Rock


 Coopers Rock is a state park in West Virginia.  The campground is gorgeous and quiet except the sound of falling acorns and the scamper of chipmunks. Actually, there were so many acorns falling when we visited, it wasn’t very quiet and could be dangerous!

I did a morning walk out to Raven’s Rock overlook.  The view was wonderful with clouds over the river below. A later walk with John showed the view without clouds.

There are the remains of an iron blast furnace in the woods. This one small furnace ran with up to 200 employees. A town with a store, church, and schoolhouse surrounded it. After 11 years, the iron ore was gone and the whole place closed.

Lots of hikes here. Besides the ones John and I did, I did a couple of morning walks where I got lost for a while. The good part about hikes here is that eventually you get somewhere on the paths. It may not be where I expected to go, but I got back to the camper and still enjoyed the walk.




Fall colors above our RV.


No comments: