Thursday, August 4, 2016

Trekkie

I’m not exactly a Trekkie, but pretty close. We saw the just released Star Trek Beyond movie (excellent!).  I feel sorry for John, but I made him drive hours so I could see Riverside Iowa. Years ago in the series (I think) it was mentioned that Captain Kirk came from a small town in Iowa. A local Star Trek fan and store owner decided that it might as well be Riverside Iowa. He got the town council to change the town slogan to “Where the Trek Begins”, change the annual festival to a Trek theme, and stuck a sign in the ground stating this was the future birthplace of Captain James T. Kirk.


It’s a fun place for Trekkies. There are signs on the lighting posts.

The local bar is both the location where Kirk was conceived….

,,,and the future location of the bar seen in Star Trek (2009 version).

No comments: