Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Exciting and Scary Walk


As I’ve mentioned multiple times, I love taking a morning walk by myself. Sometimes I’ve been worried like when I pulled a muscle (July 16) or was followed by a bobcat (March 17), but most times I just enjoy the walk and the morning. The walk along Bolen Bluff Trail seemed to have a theme of being a bit scary.

The birds seemed to be scared of me and always flew away as I approached along the trail.


The deer were scared of me. The only problem is when we don’t see each other until I’m close. Then the deer would jump and run away so that the sudden loud noise startled me too! Here’s a fawn that hadn’t learned to be scared of humans yet. Mom stayed close while I walked past.

This preserve has wild horses and bison. On another hike we saw both in the distance: a horse (with an egret riding on its back) and several bison (lying down in the grasses). This time I saw two wild horses right along the trail. I’m thinking how cool they are since they weren’t scared of me. Then one of them starting walking toward me and ended up being maybe 6 feet away from me before I walked away. I’m not sure if the horse was hoping for a snack or what. I’ve never heard of a wild horse attack but who knows!


The scariest were the feral hogs. I’ve always heard these can be dangerous. There were several along the trail. They didn’t move away as I passed. Luckily they didn’t head towards me but they were difficult to see through the plants along the tree so there were times we were fairly close. It is difficult to take pictures with all the plant life, but this is as close as I wanted to be!


Sometimes my walks allow me to contemplate life. This time I was paying attention and living in the moment

No comments: