Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Wildlife at Crooked River State Park

Add-on: Since I posted this, we found a small frog in the RV in our bed. We were able to capture it and release it outside, but that was a first!

The last time we visited we only saw a single gopher tortoise and it had several disgusting ticks attached. This time I’ve seen over ten and all seemed healthy. Four were in the general area of a nesting section of the park, so maybe this is the time of the year to travel again? It included a tortoise that was smaller than most, though not a baby. 

One has a nest under the 2nd hole of a putt-putt golf course at the park.

This one was crossing the road. You know how they say how they are slow…it is not really true.

The river beach with lots of fiddler crabs. There’s a few things to consider as you watch this one…One: There are more than you see in the movie. As I got closer many had already disappeared. Two: I’m in flip-flops. All the time I’m expecting to feel a crab crawl across my feet. Eek!

The nature center had several interesting creatures like this box turtle.

There are two Diamondback Terrapins, one female and this male. The female is bigger but this male has more striking “diamonds” on its back.


And there is an American Alligator at the nature center. Always cool!

BTW, right before I took this sunrise picture, an alligator splashed into the river near me. If you look really closely, you can see the eyes and nose near the bank. Sorry to disturb you, alligator!

No comments: