Friday, June 29, 2012

Batteries

The original design of Fort Pickens was completed in 1834.  It was used for coastal defense all the way until 1898.  At that point, Battery Pensacola was added in the center of the fort.  Later several newer batteries were constructed on this island.  One was within walking distance for one of my morning walks.  The various batteries were built to protect the sea coast starting during World War I and closed after World War II.  Guns that can shoot 17 miles were housed in them.  The doors are solid steel and much of the concrete is now covered with moss.


Outside they were covered in sand to disguise them.  Now they have trees surrounding what looks like a large sand dune.

You can’t get inside this one, but I could peak through the steel doors.   If orbs really meant ghosts, this one looks like its haunted.  Actually, I don’t think anyone died in these batteries.

I climbed to the top of it to get a view of the beaches.  After taking a fairly easy climb up, I found two teenage boys at the top.  They said they had climbed up a concrete cliff to get to the top.  Hey, I’ll take the easy way when I can!




No comments: