Saturday, June 23, 2012

Gulf islands shore


We are visiting the Gulf Islands National Seashore for a few days.  We visited in November, but we didn’t have a chance to enjoy the beaches and swim in the gulf.  From the campground we can walk to either sandy beaches with fairly large waves on the gulf side or swim on the calmer inland waters of Pensacola Bay.  On our first day we swam in the gulf.  There was a single red flag flying, meaning the waves were high but it wasn’t too bad.  Love bobbing in the waves!  Unfortunately, we stayed out a bit long and the sunscreen didn’t work well in the water so we were a bit sunburned for the next few days.


I walked on an interpretative trail during my morning walk.  This one was funny.  This is a picture of a dead Live Oak (OK, not so funny, but I was amused and I love the shape of the tree). 


Plus, I love the Latin name and story behind Ilex Vomitoria!

No comments: