Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Birds

At our stop in Houston, the RV park had a pond along with a flock of very spoiled and overfed ducks.  All day they would walk around the RV’s looking to be fed.  They didn’t attack or anything, but they were big enough to be intimidating!

Neither of us are big birders, but it’s interesting to see the different birds in the South during the winter.  Some are northern birds that have migrated down here while others are exotic birds for us but common to the coast.  I’m sure there have been rare smaller birds, but we don’t know enough to identify them.  With the larger birds, we’ve seen various varieties of pelicans, egrets, and heron.


Sunday’s walk on the beach in Galveston was extremely windy.  Walking one direction froze me as it chilled me through all my clothes.  Walking the other way felt like someone was pushing me back against my shoulders.  It affected the birds too.  This group was lined up head first into the wind.


Tuesday’s walk was rather funny.  First, I saw a large bird standing on a pier just like in “Karate Kid”.  No crane kick though.  The real ones just fly away.  Next, I was walking back and a seagull starting hovering in front of me.  Walking under a bird is a crapshoot… literally.  So I was trying to walk to the side but more birds started hovering in front of me.  I finally got away without being bombed from above.

No comments: