Friday, December 30, 2011

River Walk in the Evening

Several years ago (2008?) I was in San Antonio for a conference.  Every day I walked a section of River Walk between my hotel and the conference center.  One of my final days, I had to go back to my hotel at lunch.  By that time in the week, I was exhausted.  As I'm walking back to the conference center, I heard a pan flute band play along the river.  I ended up sitting down and listening for several songs.  I may have missed some presentations, but it was worth it and one of the highlights of my week.

Today I dragged John along River Walk to see if I could find the spot.  Suddenly I heard the same Peruvian pan flute music!  It was so cool to listen to the group again, this time with Christmas lights glowing.  Wonderful!

We had dinner along River Walk.  As it got dark, the lights on the trees, restaurants, and arches turned on.  As I mentioned earlier, supposedly there were over 1.4 millions LED lights this year.  I can believe it!  You can see where they had to use a strand just to go around the trunk twice.  The lights just circled and circled the trees from the base then way up in the trees and out on the branches.  I found online that it costs the city $115,000 to just put up the lights every year.  Wow!

No comments: