Sunday, February 5, 2012

Desert Walk


Saturday we went to Saguaro National Park.  I guess I really didn't know much about these large plants.  The inside of the plant has wood ribs that give the cactus a structure and strength.  The saguaro grows very slowly.  It only starts growing an arm after 60-70 years.  A large saguaro may be 150-200 years old.

There are several types of cactus at this park.  In the picture below you can see a fishhook barrel in front, the fuzzy ones are chollar, the tall sticks are ocotillo, there's a mesquite tree and a saguaro in the back.  The 2nd picture below also shows the prickly pear.



We saw a deer, a jackrabbit, and saw lizards that disappeared before we could really look at them.  There were quite a few flowers blooming, even in February.  I'd love to tell you what kind, but I guess I'll have to say orange, yellow, and purple!

No comments: