Sunday, February 26, 2012

Lost Dutchman Mine

We’re camping at the Lost Dutchman State Park where supposedly there is a major gold mine in the nearby Superstition Mountains.  The story is that Jacob “Dutchman” Waltz came out of the hills with gold.  He returned several times to the mine for more gold, but never told anyone where it was.  Prospectors searched the mountains for years trying to find the mine but never found it.  Maybe it’s been waiting for us!


We stopped at a museum in the area.  One section was maps from the various treasure hunters including a Wagner map.  Maybe I’m related!  There is an area outside where several old Westerns were filmed including one with Elvis (he was in a Western?).  This is the ‘Elvis’ chapel that was in the film.

We happened to show up during Lost Dutchman Days.  So we went to a Bratwurst and Beer party at the Elks lodge.  Most of the attendees to these festivals are snowbirds.  At one point I realized the young’uns (60’s) were outside drinking beer, the older ones (70’s and 80’s) were inside dancing, while there were people with oxygen tanks on the porch.  I’m not sure if I’m feeling young or old.

We took several hikes.  Gorgeous views (and difficult hiking).

Oh, and it’s a tough life.  Here’s the view from our RV.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay - so....youngun, I remember seeing the Elvis movie and the church - but then again, I am older than you! And...on my first trip to AZ, I read a book on the Lost Dutchman mine. I was totally ready to trek the hills and find it again but it is said that they made in sacred Indian ground, so you can't go there. Someone tried by helicopter - I was fascinated and "gold-struck" or whatever they called it.
Fabulous historicals and pictures. Keep them coming - love and miss you both!!

Anonymous said...

PS - Johnny - you get your clothes on!!