Friday, October 5, 2012

Fall in Ohio

I enjoyed hiking at Flint Ridge state park near Newark Ohio.  The park has multiple pits where Native Americans dug flint for arrowheads and knives.  The flint layer is 3 miles by 8 miles but only 2’ – 10’ thick.  Boulders of gorgeous flint can be found along the path.

Natives from the Hopewell Culture quarried flint for more than 9,000 years from hundreds of pits in the area.  Flint was still mined by European Americans to make flour grinding wheels.  Most of the pits aren’t big, maybe 5’ deep and 25’ diameter. 
 

 
 I thought they were just a natural dip until I realized how many there were and that flint could be found in many of them.  Flint is also found on the pathway and even the roots of fallen tree are filled with pieces of flint.

Unfortunately, the park is not well maintained.  There are quite a few trees that had fallen over the path and hadn’t been cleaned up.  Also, there weren’t many signs explaining the sites.  There was a museum but it was closed (only open on weekends) and I was the only person at the park.  I know Ohio is cutting costs at some of their parks and it shows here.  However, I still enjoyed the fall hike.

BTW, it’s our anniversary this week.  John’s back with the RV while I’m on this business trip.  Sometimes things just don’t work out right on schedules.

 

No comments: