Thursday, October 11, 2012

Ice Cream and Tires

For a great marketing scheme, more factories should open up for tours.  This is especially true for small factories with food or drink.  The tea plantation we recently visited (http://tandtrv.blogspot.com/2012/09/growing-and-preparing-tea.html) attracted people to pay for a tour, tea, and related products.  This time I went to an ice cream factory in Utica Ohio.  There were lots of people seeing the factory or eating at the restaurant.

Velvet Ice Cream has a pretty good setup.  The plant makes 5 million gallons of ice cream a year.  You can watch the factory (just a few lines) package ice cream.  You can also see  equipment from a grain mill,  older ice cream equipment, and a small museum explaining the history of ice cream.  But then you can buy ice cream, lots of related stuff, and they have an restaurant that serves sandwiches.  Got to admit, I enjoyed the ice cream shake!

 
While driving my rental car back to the hotel, an alarm light turned on.  I am pretty good at ignoring alarms, but this one was an exclamation mark (!).  So, I pulled out the book to find out that it meant my tire pressure is low.  I’m planning on doing a lot of driving, so I pulled into the nearest gas station.  They had free air but no gauge at the compressor.  I looked around and soon a couple of guys in a pickup truck pulled in. I asked them if they had an air gauge (who better to ask than Ohio good-old-boys!).  No, but they knew the station had one so they ended up checking and filling my tires which were all very low.  Thanks, guys!

No comments: