Friday, August 24, 2018

Our BIZARRE sheriff story



First, some background…Last week I started getting stuffy. I figured it was allergies with all the flowers I was seeing. But I was tired and achy enough to sleep a lot for a couple of days and got better. Apparently it was a cold because then John started getting stuffy. He had to really push through the illness to handle the drive through Minneapolis. Once we got to Interstate State Park, he has stayed inside to sleep and get better.

So…last night at 11 pm, we are sleeping and see a flashlight looking into our RV. We hear knocking on the door. It is a sheriff! He said he was told to check to see if we were alive. He said that someone reported that no one was seen outside our RV since we’d been here and we had Florida plates. They were worried that someone had a heart attack and was lying here dead.

Now, during that time I took two hikes and took a shower at the showerhouse ( no one had seen me?). The night had been rainy and the day was cool requiring a jacket. We’d spent our time inside the RV watching TV, reading, writing, and sleeping. Plus, with the door latch being broken, I didn’t go in and out very often. And, we’d only been there a day and a half. Did we set up our RV with our last breath and then go inside to die? 

He had to see my ID and run it. Why? If he thought we were dead, an ID doesn’t tell him I’m alive. Did he think we were criminals hiding out? He left and apologized for the visit. I’m still thinking how having Florida plates mattered. They don’t have people from Florida visit Minnesota? We’re all so old we have heart attacks?

Like I said, BIZARRE!

The next morning I talked to a couple of neighbors who were wondering why the sheriff was there late at night. They thought this was all pretty weird since they had seen me the day before.

I’m throwing in wildflower pictures just to brighten up this post.

No comments: