Friday, September 20, 2019

Capitol Reef to Moab - Weird

And now the weird part. Here’s a gas station built into the hills.


The town of Green River is on the road with unique art displays. “Ratio” and “Elements” is on the hill as you enter though really too far from the main road to enjoy. You can drive to them if you have a car that can handle the road. We don’t.

"Ratio” is supposed to be based on the Fibonacci sequence (0,1,1,2,3,5,8,13…). I don’t see it. It’s a kinda cool piece of art but I don’t see how it connects to this number sequence. Anyone?

Green River is also home to the World’s Largest Watermelon Slice (25’ long). This has always been on my bucket list (well…maybe not). It seems to move around town. Normally it’s at the museum but now it’s at the Highway Patrol. Maybe there was vandalism and they figure this is safer?

We stopped to see some more petroglyphs. I’m putting this under weird since these are pretty big alien-like figures.

Plus, Santa’s sleigh and reindeer at a different site!

Near one of the petroglyph sites was an old cemetery. However, some of the grave sites were new which surprised me.

We stopped at Lin Ottinger’s Rock Shop in Moab. I ended up buying several rocks. Prices were either extremely reasonable ($1/rock) or extremely expensive ($5,000 for a very large piece of petrified wood). Probably it was a reasonable price for the rocks and fossils but outside the range I like to spend. Instead, I liked some of the permanent displays in the shop. BTW, I liked the humor of a section called Special and Unique Rocks. Hidden among the rocks for sale was a picture of The Rock (Dwayne Johnson). No price on him!

No comments: