Sunday, September 22, 2019

Moab – Around Town


The town of Moab is full of bicyclists. This weekend is The Moab Century Tour. I can’t believe the routes. One is 63 miles with a 7,000’ elevation change. Another 100 miles with 4,800’ elevation changes. The “easy” trip is 38 miles with a 500’ elevation change. BTW, the bicyclists fill the breweries in town after their rides.

ATVing is very popular with lots of trails for them. We try to stay away from these with the noise. Rock climbing is popular. There’s a section of rock wall near town that had climbers every 20’ or so. Not my thing.

We spent a day doing hikes around Moab including seeing some dinosaur tracks and Jug Handle Arch. Mill Creek Trail was fun and exciting. It included crossing the creek 3 times. I brought older shoes and kept them on as I walked through the water. John took off his shoes and went barefoot both in the water and on the sand trails.

Overheard: As we were hiking a trail earlier this week, I heard two guys talking. One guy said “I ask them if they like it horizontal or vertical and the whole body or just the head.” I was gasping until I realized they were discussing taking pictures of other tourists with their phones. Anyhow, a fellow tourist took this picture of us at the waterfalls (horizontal and full body).


Our next trail was Corona Arch Trail. I got to say this was my absolutely favorite hike so far.  The trail in Arches NP for Delicate Arch is busy. This had some people, but most of the time you don’t see them and even at the arch there were less than 10 people.


The arch itself is less “delicate” but much bigger (105’ vs 52’ high). The trail is challenging with a ladder in one spot and cable wire in a couple of places, but no real drop-offs that set off my fear of heights. Cool story: On the way out we passed a group of people including a bride in a full wedding dress! I don't know if it was for a wedding at the arch or a photo shoot, but I'm impressed she can hike out in a wedding dress!

We like taking sandwiches, snacks, and water out for a lunch on the trails. Our view at the arch area.

Bowtie Arch and Corona Arch


No comments: