Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Expensive and Free

Freeport is NOT free.  It’s the home of L.L. Bean.  I expected to see a L.L. Bean store.  What we found was multiple L.L. Bean stores (hunting, home, retail, outlet, etc.).  The prices were not a bargain.  Or, since I don’t shop L.L. Bean catalog, I hope these high prices weren’t lower than their normal prices!  Besides the L.L. Bean stores, there were all type of outlet stores surrounding it.  I can’t imagine how much money is spent in those few blocks every day!

I’m cheap, so I have a picture of the L.L. Bean boot along with the moose (is the plural of moose meese? mooses?).  The two moose died with their antlers locked while fighting.

We couldn’t find a place to park, but here’s the Big F Indian.  It’s supposed to stand for Freeport or other F words.




 
We loved the Delorme Map Store.  Inside is the world’s largest rotating globe.  The globe is a little over 41’ in diameter.  It takes 140 gigabytes of data to make the map. It’s very difficult to take a picture of the whole thing since it is 3 stories high.  Actually it’s more than 3 stories since the bottom is below ground and the top is above the 3rd floor viewing area.  VERY cool (and free to see)!

 
I make a fairly varied list of things-to-see every day.  We go to the ones we think are interesting at the time and skip the others.  Some turn out to be pretty lame (for instance the Big F Indian) while others exceed our expectations.  The globe exceeded our expectations.  John had fun pointing out the places he visited while in the Navy.  I realized how poor I am with geography when I couldn’t identify major cities or even some countries.

 
We stayed for free at a Cabela’s parking lot.  I’m not sure if all of them offer RV parking, but we took advantage of it in Scarborough Maine.  Plus, Cabela’s are always fun to see the stuffed animals inside.  This Cabela’s was so big that on the first trip around I missed seeing the plane and the truck.  John missed seeing the mountain. You know it’s big if you miss those sort of things.  Here are some of my favorite pictures.  By the way, can you find the prairie dog butt?



 

No comments: