Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Sightseeing with an RV


Sightseeing with a car is one thing, but wandering in areas you aren’t familiar in an RV and pulling a car is something completely different.  The problems started when I got called into a business meeting when we were close to our stop for the day.  That meant I needed to go to the back of the RV where it’s quieter.  In the meantime, John was navigating through an extremely busy highway near New York City.  He wasn’t able to get to the right lane to make the exit with our long rig.  So, he’s trying to find a way back or at least someplace to stop and couldn't work the GPS while he was in such busy traffic.  Somewhere about this time I came back from my meeting.  I made things worse by having him make an exit into a small town.  Unfortunately it had small streets with small parking lots.  We couldn’t even fit into the gas stations. 

I’m playing with the GPS trying to find some options.  In the season premiere of “How I Met Your Mother”, Ted is making a cross-country trip with Lilly in a car.  He makes her so mad with stupid, obscure, and silly stops that that she decides to take the train instead.  I’m glad I’m not like Ted.  Turns out we were close to our next day sightseeing stops in Sleepy Hollow.

Sleepy Hollow is another very small street town.  We drove past the Headless Horseman Bridge (where the pumpkin head was thrown in the story). I wanted to stop at the cemetery where Washington Irving is buried, but that’s just not possible in an RV. 


 
Next, our GPS had us driving on a parkway where RV’s and trucks aren’t allowed.  Several times we drove under bridges where it seemed so close I literally ducked.  There were no signs giving heights, but it was close!  Finally, we found a shopping parking lot where we had time to make a decision.  I made a couple of calls and found a nice state park where we could camp for the night.  We’re rethinking our next few days given the traffic in this area.

No comments: