Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Freedom Trail in Boston

The tourist thing to do in Boston is to walk the Freedom Trail.  It’s a path though the city streets that passes by multiple historic stops.  The trail itself is marked by a thin strip of red bricks or red paint.  Two and a half miles isn’t long when you’re hiking in the woods.  It is long when you walking in the city with cobblestone at times, weaving among lots of other tourists, and walking extra steps to see the historic places.  It took us around 4 hours to walk the trail one wayand then only ½ hour to return by a shorter path.

There were various gymnastic and music performances going on along the Boston streets.  Entertaining! Extra fun was going on the subway to get into town.  Boston traffic isn’t fun, but subways are always cool.  This is John’s look to me of “Really, you’re taking a picture of me in the subway?”

Off the trail, but near the start of Boston Commons is the Cheers bar. The story that goes along with this was when I was very pregnant with my son I went to the doctor eager for delivery soon.  “When can I have this baby?” I asked.  Due to minor complications, he decided on induced childbirth.  “When do you want it?  How about this Thursday?”  “No,” I answered, “that’s the final episode of Cheers.” So that’s why David wasn’t born until the next Monday.

Old Granary Burial Ground has the gravesites of people like Paul Revere and John Hancock.  Personally, I liked the smaller stones like this one for a servant of John Hancock.  Many of the stones had scary faces on the top to remind people how close death was to the living and show the piety of the departed.

 
The Old North Church was interesting with the pew boxes.  This is the church where the lamps were put to warn of the British plan (“One if by land, and two if by sea”).  When I looked at these stairs, all I can think of is what the guys were saying back in 1775. “Dang, whose plan is it that I have to climb these skinny stairs with a lamp?”  Matter of fact, I guess it took three people to send the signal.  One watched for the British while two people brought up the lamps.

Speaking of skinny, this is the skinniest house in Boston at just over 10’ wide.

Neat firehouse.  I just love the look of a city firehouse!
 


Old Ironsides (the U.S.S. Constitution) is located in the Boston Harbor.  There are all kinds of security, but you can tour the ship.

This is the dry dock in Charlestown Navy Yard.  Back in 1968, John worked for several months to repair the USS Joseph P. Kennedy while it was in this dry dock.  Ah, memories!  Mostly he remembers how cold it was and a greasy spoon restaurant that was nearby.

A long day!

No comments: