Thursday, September 12, 2013

Nashville and Bangor

This week was a business trip to Nashville.  You know you’re in Nashville when the music played in the hotel lobby is country and in the bathroom you hear the attendant singing along.

 
 
 
 
I’m not a big country fan, but I was able to go to the Grand Ole Opry.  There’s a lot I didn’t know about the place.  There’s a circle of wood flooring that came from the original Grand Ole Opry.  It was from the place where all the performers sang and is now placed at the same spot here.  If you pay for a tour and extra for a picture, you can stand there too.
 
We saw Lennon and Maisy Stella, 13 and 9 year-old sisters on the TV series Nashville, who were fabulous.  The best for me was probably Thompson Square, a husband and wife group who sang their platinum single “Are You Going to Kiss Me or Not” and Love and Theft who have a platinum single too.  Both have been nominated and/or won several country awards.  Since I know nothing about country, I hadn’t heard of any of these people.  But it was a fun and enjoyable evening.
 
After I got back we did a little visiting in Bangor.  Here’s Paul Bunyan.  They advertise that Bangor is his birthplace.  Though, I guess Akeley Minnesota, Oscada Michigan, Ossineke Michigan, Brainerd Minnesota, Bemidji Minnesota, and Westwood California also said he was born there.  It seems like we should be able to find a birth certificate somewhere.
 
Apparently Stephen King lives in Bangor (not that we saw him).  His house is known for the spider web and bat gates.

No comments: