Tuesday, November 11, 2014

RV Excitement


We’re at Guadalupe Mountains back in Texas. It’s windy. Not just blowing your hair around winding, it is hold down your hat windy. The weather says something like 30 mph with gusts of 60 mph. That means the whole RV was rocking last night. I thought it felt like being rocked to sleep in a cradle, but John didn’t sleep well. One of the reasons we bought a small 26’ RV is that it has less surface area to blow. But when it’s this windy it doesn’t matter. During the drive we were pushed all over the road. In one section we saw tumble weeds quickly crossing the road. We drove over quite a few and got hit by a big one that I thought looked more like a tumble tree.


The other excitement was that I sprained my ankle during a hike. It’s not bad, but I’m trying to keep off of it for a day or two. The fun part is that I twisted my foot after hiking 1.5 hours from the campground. Then I had to get back. Luckily, we took it slow and it only took 2 hours to get back. The hike was absolutely gorgeous, but it very rocky and requires you to basically jump or step from rock to rock at all angles. John worked hard to find me an easier path.

All of that aside, hiking on the Devil’s Hall trail is not just beautiful, it is spectacular. The back drop is mountains and blue sky while the tree are red, orange, yellow, and dark green plus the hike itself is on white rocks and boulders. It had to be the most picture perfect trail I have ever been on.

The end of the trail is Hiker’s Staircase and Devil’s Hall, but (like most things) it’s the journey there that’s amazing.


No comments: