Saturday, September 29, 2018

Leaving Pictured Rocks


Since we aren’t towing a car, we have to schedule visits to distant parts of the park either coming into the park or leaving. We stopped at Sable Falls and Grand Sable Dunes in Pictured Rocks which were too far for us to walk or bike from the campground. The falls was bigger than I expected.

In Pictured Rocks are “perched dunes”. These are sand dunes on top of a bluff. Past the falls is a hike to these dunes. All quite nice, though walking in the sand is tough.


However, I freak out about heights. I am fine on a path on a tall dune, but the path along the top edge of the dune was too much for me. I walked out a few yards and froze. I gave my phone to John to take pictures further on and crept back all hunched over in fear. John (and the next hiker who came out) just laughed at me. As John told me, all that would happen if I fell is that I'd roll down a sand dune.



Oh, well. At least I can look at John’s pictures.

BTW, we had an issue with our front slide on the RV as we were leaving the campground. We had to ask several strong young guys from nearby campsites to help us push the slide in. There’s always something while RV’ing but at least we got to meet some nice people.

No comments: